Animals in Distress is run by a passionate and dedicated team of staff.
Our Rescue Centre, where we look after the pets, and our Head Office are based in Ipplepen near Newton Abbot. We also have a number of charity shops across South Devon that raise vital funds to support the work at the Rescue Centre.
If you are interested in working with us, details of our current vacancies can be found here.
Cattery Deputy Manager
An exciting opportunity has recently become available at our Rescue Centre in Ipplepen. We are looking for a “Cattery Deputy Manager” for our busy Cattery Department.
The successful candidate will have experience working with cats and have the ability to manage the Animal Welfare Assistants and volunteers in the absence of the Manager.
Must be confident in supporting the Cattery Manager in the welfare of all the cats and ensure the efficient daily operations of the cattery and to also assist the Manager with the administrative aspects of the cattery, including rotas, training and any other deputising duties as required.
The post holder must be able to provide daily care and husbandry for the cats at the Rescue Centre, establish good customer relations and maintain administration procedure in place.
Responsible for the allocation and conduct of work within the Cattery department, including the supervision and practical training of Animal Welfare Assistants and volunteers allocated to the facility.
- Daily cleaning of pens
- Day to day supervision of Animal Welfare Assistants and volunteers including the allocation of duties, coaching and support to staff and volunteers within the facilities in the absence of the Manager and as required by the Manager
- Ensuring the daily routines are carried out following the set procedures for the Cattery Department.
- Carry out checks on cats, including the inspection of eyes, ears, nose and throat for signs of infection or abnormality. Identify animals requiring veterinary assessment and organize that examination.
- The daily care, preparing and providing food and water, hygiene, cleanliness and exercise, as appropriate, for the animals in the facilities.
- Supervision of animal handling and transportation, prevention of outbreaks and transmission of disease.
- Routine animal behaviour monitoring/assessment prior to rehoming.
- Attend to the needs of the client/customer/general public, face to face or via the telephone.
- Represent the Charity whilst at the Rescue Centre, offsite and at events as required
- Animal related qualification (i.e.NVQ L3 in small animal care)
- Enjoy interacting with people and working as part of a team
- Outstanding communication and numeracy skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Proficient in assessing small animals and potential re-homer’s suitability
- Supervisory experience
Salary and hours of work
£ 9.67 per hour – 35 hours weekly to include weekends and Bank Holidays
To apply for the Cattery Deputy Manager position, please email your CV and covering letter to:
email@example.com by Sunday 8th March 2020
Interviews will be held: Thursday 19th March 2020